Pages

Book Haul

Monday 23 March 2015


I thought I would share the books that I have got so far this year as I always love reading posts like this.


Adventure Time Annual 2015
I got this from my friend for Christmas as she knows I'm a massive Adventure Time fan. This is definitely aimed at young kids but I will be using it for the pictures to put together my next tattoo.

300 best Homemade Candy recipes (Jane Sharrock) 
I got this candy book for my birthday and there is just so much in there to choose from. Because this is an American book there are so many recipes for things I've not heard of but am excited to try. I do love baking but I've not tried making candy before so I will definitely be trying out some of these recipes.
Happyslapped by a jellyfish (Karl Pilkington)
I have read this before but a few years ago and on my Kindle. Because there are pictures in this book I found they didn't really work well on the Kindle so I will definitely be reading this again. I love Karl Pilkington and his bleak outlook on everything. This book contains some diary entries and just ramblings mostly about the places Karl has visited. I can't decided if he is a comedy genius or just a very good actor.

The World of Ice & Fire -The untold history of Westeros and The Game of Thrones (George R.R. Martin)
I am a massive GOT fan, I never thought I would enjoy the books as much as I do and now I'm impatiently waiting for the next one to come out. While I wait for that I thought this book would be an interesting read and the pictures within are really beautifully done. This is possibly a book to dip in and out of rather than a consistent read.

 Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase & Fable 19th.ed (Dr Brewer)
I found out about this book when reading A slip of the keyboard. My love for words and random information made this book sound perfect. It was very hard to find this hardback online but luckily my local bookshop had a copy, my excitement at finding this was thankfully not witnessed by anyone else in the shop.
I can only describe this as being like a reference book. Although it does contain phrases, their meaning and origin it is also full of many other words and their usage. I can see myself getting lost in this book for hours. 

Bulfinch's Mythology (Thomas Bulfinch - part of the Barnes & Noble leather bound collection)
I'm a sucker for beautiful books and this one is ah just so lovely. My amazing photography hasn't really picked up the bronze/rose gold detail on the front. The pages are gold edged and smattering of pictures are lovely. This is made up of 3 topics - the age of fable (mostly Greek mythology), the age of chivalry (King Arthur & British myths) and the legends of Charlemagne. I love mythology, fairy tales and the like so I'm really looking forward to starting this book. I also have my eye on other books in this collection as who can resist a lovely leather bound book!?

A slip of the keyboard  - collected non-fiction (Terry Pratchett)
I love Terry Pratchett and this book was a really good read. This is a collection of non-fiction including his thoughts on book signing tours, his stance on assisted death, speeches he'd made as well as bits he'd wrote for papers. I really enjoyed reading this but then I'm yet to read anything of his that I don't like.

Nanny Ogg's cookbook (Terry Pratchett)
Anyone who knows Discworld will know Nanny Ogg, one of the Lancre witches. This is a mix of recipes and etiquette and having spotted the recipe for dwarf bread which needs black food colouring, I can't wait to have a read of this book. 

Snuff - Terry Pratchett
One of my favourite books from the Discworld series as it stars Commander Vimes. While on holiday he investigates a murder which brings to light other dark deeds. I love the City Watch books and this one is all the more special as it is a signed copy. 
Due to a rare form of Alzheimer's Terry Pratchett was no longer able to sign books by pen so a signature plate was made which gets stamped in the book along with his coat of arms embossed on a satin gold wafer.  
To have a signed copy is just amazing and this has taken pride of place on my bookcase.    



So there we go, all the books I have got so far this year. I now have the fun job of trying to find space for them on my over flowing bookcase....

If you'd like to see what I have been reading this year please follow me on Goodreads and if you have an account feel free to leave it below, I'm always interested to see what other people are reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment